Being self-quarantined during this global pandemic has left a lot of time on everyone’s hands. For a lot of people, this means that it’s time to binge watch a good series … or two … or ten. Here are ten shows that would be good to watch during quarantine:
- “Cheer” – The spotlight is on the Navarro College cheer squad as they prepare for the collegiate national championships in Daytona Beach, Florida. This Netflix original docuseries highlights the backgrounds of coach Monica Aldama and cheerleaders Morgan Simianer, Gabi Butler, Lexi Brumback, La’Darius Marshall and Jerry Harris, showing their best and worst moments ‘on the mat’ as they work hard to win at Daytona.
- “Cheer Squad” – If you love “Cheer,” you’re going to love “Cheer Squad.” This ten-episode heartfelt docuseries follows the three-time world champion team the Cheer Sport Great White Sharks while they prepare for the world championships in Florida. It reveals many of the girls’ individual struggles, as they try to balance school, careers and cheer practice.
- “Grey’s Anatomy” – This can’t miss drama series just recently celebrated their fifteenth birthday and is currently the longest running medical drama series, surpassing “ER.” The show follows Dr. Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) as she navigates her way from being a surgical intern to being a successful award winning surgeon. Seasons one through 15 are currently available on Netflix, and season 16 will be available on Netflix soon.
- “Little Fires Everywhere” – This drama-heavy Hulu original series follows Mia Warren (Kerry Washington) and her teenage daughter, as she recently uprooted their lives to move to a mid-sized suburban town in Ohio where they befriend their building proprietor, Elena (Reese Witherspoon) and her privileged, seemingly perfect family. This series addresses and navigates through heavy topics of racism, sexism, bullying, and other themes of oppression.
- “Once Upon a Time” – This fantasy drama series follows Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) on her path of discovering who she really is and where she’s really from. This series includes visits from almost all of your favorite fairytale characters with different storylines from their original ones. This one is a drama lover’s must see and will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.
- “Private Practice” – This “Grey’s Anatomy” spin-off follows Dr. Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh) as she gives up her surgical career to pursue a career as an OB/GYN at a private practice located in Los Angeles. If you’re a fan of “Grey’s Anatomy,” then you’ll love “Private Practice.” The full series is available on both Netflix and Hulu.
- “The Good Place” – This hilarious sitcom follows Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and her newfound friends Tahani (Jameela Jamil), Jason (Manny Jacinto) and Chidi (William Jackson Harper) as they navigate their way through the afterlife. This comedy series can be found on Netflix.
- “This is Us” – This tear-jerking drama series follows the lives of Randall (Sterling K. Brown), Kevin (Justin Hartley) and Kate Pearson (Chrissy Metz). It also follows their parents Jack (Milo Ventimiglia) and Rebecca Pearson (Mandy Moore), as they all maneuver through life’s experiences. The series is a mix between the present and flashbacks to show the family’s past. It is available on Hulu.
- “Tiger King” – This true crime docuseries blew up shortly after release, sparking many memes and conspiracy theories. “Tiger King” follows collector of giant cats, Joe Exotic, as he runs a ‘zoo’ located in Oklahoma. Meanwhile, the leader at Big Cat Rescue, Carol Baskin, seemingly tries to take him down. This docuseries is a Netflix original and can only be found there.
- “Self-Made” – This Netflix original limited series based on a true story has you rooting for Madam C.J. Walker (Octavia Spencer) from the very beginning. The rise of her success from a washerwoman below the poverty line to the first female self-made billionaire through her beauty business was the biggest power move made by a woman in the late 1800s.
Stay at home, stay safe, and happy watching!